While not a small town, as Tennessee’s fifth-largest city, Clarksville retains a small-town atmosphere. Founded in 1785, the town was named for General George Rogers Clark, a Revolutionary War hero and brother of William Clark of “Lewis and Clark” fame.
In 1838, it became a part of tragic history when it was the site of a stop along the Trail of Tears. It was a strategic location during the Civil War for its railroad, which was later purchased by the Louisville & Nashville Railroad. The courthouse, pictured above, is a historic recreation of one that was built in the 1800s but destroyed by a tornado.